Appendix B: Concomitant Test Examples
Chi-Square examples (both independent and dependent variables are Categorical or Ordinal)
- To what extent (if any) does Gender (M/F) influence Automobile color preference (Blue/White/Silver/etc.)?
- Does College Major (Business, Engineering, etc.) influence Marital Status at age 40 (Single, Married, Divorced, etc.)?
ANOVA examples (Categorical/Ordinal independent variable and Numeric dependent variable)
- To what extent (if any) does College affiliation (Public, Private, Religious) influence graduate lifetime earnings ($$)?
- Does Type of Industry (Hospitality, Construction, Aerospace, etc.) influence Advertising spending ($$)?
Logistic Regression examples (Numeric independent variable and Categorical/Ordinal dependent variable). Remember: use with caution!
- To what extent (if any) does consumer age (in years) influence Automobile body-style (sedan, SUV, etc.) preference?
- Does income ($$) influence ‘cord cutting’ (unsubscribing from cable TV)?
Correlation examples (both independent and dependent variables are Numeric or Ordinal)
- To what extent (if any) does the number of children in a family influence retirement age?
- Does commute time (in minutes) influence total Paid Time Off days taken?